Monday, July 1, 2019



Peaceful Rock

I headed for a place I know,
not wanting any clock,
where my burdened ears can hear the flow,
resting well on Peaceful Rock.

By the brook, I’ll sit and close my eyes,
where the canopy is thick,
and contentment there I’ll realize,
as I hear the water skip.

I will sit for many hours there,
or at least what seems to be,
and I’ll hear the water sing His care,
of the love He has for me.

And my troubles will go down the way,
where the ravens tend to flock,
yet the perfect peace of God will stay,
trusting well on Peaceful Rock.


Come unto me, all ye that labour
and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:28

PEACEFUL ROCK

The world’s calamities circle around. Personal and family problems abound. Government issues soar on harsh sounds. It is true what Jesus said— that there will always be trouble in the world. And, it is also true that Jesus has overcome the world because He has said so in John chapter 16, verse 33.

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
Psalm 18:1-3

David sang the above words when God delivered him from the hand of Saul. We might not be running from an angry king with a buckler on our arm but difficulties can seem to chase us nonetheless. Calling on the LORD in prayer is the answer. Praying is what David did and what we should do, too. Isn’t there a verse that says the prayer of a righteous man availeth much? Here it is:

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
James 5:16

Do you know to whom God said He would be a shield? It’s found in Genesis 15 when God made a covenant with this person. And do you know to whom God said the following in Exodus 33?

And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by.
Exodus 33:21-22

Praying people of faith know God is the rock on which they can base their lives. It’s the same rock the wise man built his house upon. To answer the above questions, it was Abraham who was told by God that He, God, would be Abraham’s shield in Genesis 15. And Moses was told by God to stand on a rock nearby while He, God, passed by in Exodus 33. Like the lyricist Augustus M. Toplady and composer Thomas Hastings of the old hymn Rock of Ages, we join our voices in their song:

Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.

Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
Matthew 21: 42-44

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the cornerstone.

Therefore thus saith the LORD GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
Isaiah 28:16

This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Acts 4:11-12

I hope you find Peaceful Rock down by the brook where the sound of flowing water washes away troubles. There is protection in the cleft of the Rock, under the hand of God. Upon this Rock, this tried stone, one can pray, trust and be at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment