Monday, August 15, 2016

August Praise 


Praise and prayer. They go together like crickets and cicadas in August. And they are in full force now at this height of hot, humid, oppressive summer heat! How often do we include praise in our prayers? Is prayer always a list of requests and concerns and not a list of praises as well? Today's poem is about praising God in prayer. 

Then Hannah prayed and said:
"My heart rejoices in the LORD;
in the LORD my horn is lifted high.
My mouth boasts over my enemies,
for I delight in your deliverance."
1 Samuel 2:1

Hannah, who had prayed in bitterness of soul and made a vow to God, was now thanking and exalting God for granting her what she had asked for. She knew there was no one like God. Only the LORD is holy and is the Rock of Salvation. She kept her vow and gave her boy to the LORD. 
Here is another thankful person in the Bible:

And Mary said:
"My soul praises the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state
of his servant. From now on all generations
will call be blessed, for the Mighty One
has done great things for me—
holy is his name."
Luke 1:46-49

Mary sang about God's mercy and mighty deeds with a grateful heart and mind when she was given the news that she would bear the Son of God. She told of God's goodness and love to her. Sing his praises, being grateful like Mary, in prayer.

"This is how you should pray:
"'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be thy name..."
Matthew 6:9

Jesus' own words tell us how to begin the Lord's Prayer. Hallowed be thy name...or praise be God's name. Look at this interesting verse about having a place for God's Name:

And rejoice before the LORD your God
at the place he will choose 
as a dwelling for his Name.
Deuteronomy 16:11a

Praise demonstrates a deep, reverent love for God. We came into this world with nothing. Yet, God in his awesome power has provided what we have asked for in faith and even what we have not asked for. Remember to thank him, as we so often forget to do.

Let nature remind you....let the chirping crickets and buzzing cicadas help remind you to be thankful for all God has done for you through his love. 

4 comments:

  1. I woke up this morning with worries. As I turned on my computer, I told God I felt so empty of his joy and neglectful of his praise. And then I saw your post. Thank you! It was timely for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! If I can help another on this road we walk together, I am pleased. God can give us friends! And of course nature is an ever present reminder of His sovereignty.

      Delete
  2. Great message, Lisa! Makes me think of Psalm 100:4 - we enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Kudos to you for crafting a sonnet! You have a talent and a passion for poetry I admire. God bless you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl my friend! That Shirley challenged me to try writing a sonnet...I hope to write more! Your focus on Isaiah 49:15 is very good. I hate to admit it but I didn't know about that verse. Thanks to you, now I do. May God give to you exceedingly great joy and peace!

      Delete