Monday, April 1, 2019














Grace on the Pond

Going to the pond, early Friday morn,
I fought through rain in woods forlorn.

Reaching for a branch on the water’s bank,
I knelt as tears of anguish sank.

Aching for the cost of humility,
I grieved to know He died for me.

Clinging to the heart of sufficient grace,
I caught, on the pond, a clear face.

Edging out my clouds of a dismal dark,
I won the sunshine’s healing arc.


For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

2 Corinthians 8:9


GRACE ON THE POND
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but not am found, was blind but now I see.

John Newton penned these words in 1779 which became the lyrics of the well-known hymn Amazing Grace. He was the one to write them because John Newton, once a miserable, foul-mouthed man, turned around and met Jesus.

‘Grace’ comes from the Greek word ‘Charis’, which, I discovered, means “blessing or favor”. God’s kindness, or benevolence, to us is in His choice to bless us even though we deserve curses because of our sin. It’s awesome when we don’t get what we deserve. And, it’s equally awesome when we get what we don’t deserve. (Can you hear a popular 90’s Christian song in there?)

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.
Romans 3:24

I fought, I knelt, I grieved, I caught, I won.
And, I became rich.

Rich are those who know the grace of Jesus, God’s Son. It’s not a richness measured in dollar amounts or some other earthly currency. What are those paper notes to God? Rich involves: being healed, clear vision, belonging, identity, a promised inheritance obtained, victory, joy, everlasting life, wonders, gold, gold streets, solid pearl gates, gemstone foundations, people, really cool people, all kinds of people, Bible people, incredible angels, the Heavenly host, creatures not of this earth, space travel, possible walking on water, sailing, and the list goes on. I don’t deserve any of this and neither do you. Consider praying to know what being rich means.

Though Jesus was rich, yet, for our sake, he became poor. Poor involved: washing the disciple’s feet (who were created in His image), being betrayed, being questioned by Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin, being mocked, ridiculed, flogged with a horrendous whip, carrying a heavy wooden cross, enduring hunger, thirst, nails hammered into both hands and feet, heat, exhaustion, loss, sorrow, lung failure, body failure, more mockery, and finally death. (And that’s what we know.) Let’s pray, then, that we might understand what Jesus Christ becoming poor for us so that we can become rich means. 

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.
Ephesians 2:8

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.
Titus 2:11-12

That gift of grace also teaches.
May we be learning much, yes?

Thou therefore, my son, be strong

in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 2:1



And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Corinthians 12:9



But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

James 4:6

Warm weather has melted a lot of snow here in the woods at this writing. However, one can’t rule out the possibility of another snowfall. I’ve seen it snow in May here! As the woods slowly wake up, we’re happy to think of approaching spring days and renewal. What a great season! But before that great season, the woods reveal fallen branches and debris from winter’s harshness. It’s a time to remember the road to the cross which Jesus took. When trekking to the pond, contemplate the hardship Christ endured for us. When you get to the pond, pray by the water’s edge. And then, see if you can see the face of grace.

Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord.

2 Peter 1:2

Because of Jesus, and with thanksgiving:

Don’t live under the law. Live under grace!
Don’t live in pieces. Live in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment