Saturday, May 1, 2021

 

THE DAFFODIL’S TRUMPET

The daffodil stands by the edge of the wood,
‘neath a slumbering red maple tree,
and he picks up his trumpet of finest pure gold
to announce the beginning of spring.

He’s early to wake from the long, bitter cold
and his yellow suit coat is a joy
which can heal the long worn out expressions of old,
and soothe the dark ages of yore.
 
He stands on a knoll that will carry the tune,
where the sun shines a-warm on the dew.
He plays out a “Toot, Ala Toot-ti-ly Toot!
Wake up, trees and critters, all living things, you!”

His song wakens others and soon there are many
to proclaim the renewal of life!
Their horns call brightly! The woods, they are waking—
away with worries and strife!

The daffodil smiles in the light of our Lord
and declares our dependence on Him,
and reminds us of joy that only Christ gives
and life coming only from Him.

 

Lift up your heads, O you gates;
be lifted up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
 Psalm 24:7                                                        

 

THE DAFFODIL’S TRUMPET

Spring! My favorite season! Every spring, there is a renewal of life. Here, in my neck of the woods, the trees are waking up from their long winter's nap. Daffodils bloom, announcing the resurrection of life. The winter woods spring alive with color and bird calls. The stark winter scene is changing to a green lushness.

Believers smile. In the spring season, we declare our dependence on Him and are reminded of the joy only Christ can give.

Give ear to my words, O LORD,
consider my meditation.
Hearken unto the voice of my cry,
my King, and my God:
for unto thee will I pray.
My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD;
in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee,
and will look up.
Psalm 5:1-3

God is a listening God! He can hear the prayer spoken from a believing heart. What joy when that thing prayed about comes about! We realize only God could have done it. And, He did so because we asked! Our request was granted.

And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldst bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldst keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
I Chronicles 4:10

Ask and ye shall receive. It happened for Jabez, who must have come to the point where he realized only God could deliver. He knew God is able. In the middle of the night, we turn to our Creator in sincere, sometimes tearful pleas for deliverance of problems. In the morning, we turn to Him for His blessing in our lives. At noonday, we rely on His goodness. In the evening, we are at His mercy.

A succinct prayer is good. Jabez identified areas he must have pondered over. His prayer request was calculated, determined and specific. Identify the problem. (Often, that is easy to do.) Then, with tremendous faith, call upon the God of Israel, the God who listens, the God of home and property, the God who reigns. Jabez didn’t know if God would answer. Jabez didn’t know if his requests would be granted.

But, they were.

Hannah, also, prayed believing God is able.

And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore. And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but will give unto thou thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.

For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him.
I Samuel 1:10-11, 27

Hannah knew grief. Great affliction drove her to that bitterness in her soul. She knew an earnestness that caused her to make a vow with the Lord of Hosts. Because of her petition, her heartache was turned to joy! She was overjoyed! She had the cup overflowing like the Psalmist proclaims in Psalm 23 because she asked.

The smartest people are the ones who ask.

Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God.
Philippians 4:6

Request away! God gives us permission to call on Him. He encourages it.

Solomon (1 Kings 3:5-14) is another person in the Bible who prayed, asking God at a young age for specific things. The LORD was pleased with what Solomon had asked and what he had not asked for. Mary, the mother of Jesus, believed the things told her (Luke 1:38-45) and said for it to be unto her according to God’s Word. The Bible is full of praying people who rely on God’s ability.

And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day.
I Kings 3:6

Call upon God, even again, and rely on Him.
Smile in the light of our Lord’s great kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment