Saturday, June 15, 2024

THE FAITHFUL TRAIL

On the faithful trail, I’ll go,
where the ferns are thick and greening,
and the undergrowth goes up and down,
and the trees are sometimes leaning.
 
Yet on the trail, I’ll follow,
as I pass beneath the basswoods,
as I walk along the touch-me-nots,
and a patch of tangled dogwoods.
 
I’ll trust when at the gully,
where the woods are dark and deepest,
and cross along the cherry tree,
where the bank is ever steepest.
 
At trail’s end, I’ll have rest
in a special, hidden clearing—
in the grass, I’ll watch the passing clouds,
and the veeries I’ll be hearing.

 

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

 


 

THE FAITHFUL TRAIL

Veery Glade is lush and green. Veeries sing to each other and sometimes, I spot one while hiking on a trail near our home. These deep-forested little brown birds add a mystical, swirling tune to the woodland realm. I especially enjoy them at dusk, when they are often one of the last kinds of birds to sing.

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Hebrews 10:35

Of course, the best thing to do while frolicking along the woodland trail is to do so while talking with God. He’s there, you know—the Creator of the universe. Confidence in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, brings great reward. It says so in the above verse, our Creator’s words that we can trust!

(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Philippians 3:18-19

But as we travel along life’s occasional gnarly path—like in the deep woods—we encounter enemies of the cross. The cross is foolishness to people whose minds are fixed on earthly things. They feed their appetites and advocate for their immoral acts to be accepted. Faithless people don’t believe Jesus willingly hung on the cross for our sins.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Hebrews 11:6

Live a life trusting God. Pray for help when circumstances derail off the trail. Call on God when hurts fling us into the tangled underbrush section. God, the Heart Reader, knows the heart asking for help. He rewards those who seek Him for guidance, those who call upon Him. Be a caller. A persistent caller!

The brash fisherman Peter might not have started out with great self-control. In the Bible, we read about his impulsive ways. We identify with Peter because of his failures, being a flawed follower. But he repented and then told others to do so too. A disciple of Jesus Christ, the apostle Peter was restored, commissioned and empowered by the Holy Spirit. He encouraged Christians to always rejoice in the resurrection of our Lord, even through persecution, and to live holy lives.

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Matthew 16:15-16

Jesus then referred Peter to a rock upon which the church would be built and the gates of hell would not prevail against it. With the resurrection of Jesus and empowerment of the Holy Spirit, I think we can see how Peter was a great example of self-control.

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control.
2 Peter 1:3-6a

Yes, we are marred. But stick to the faithful trail. God’s Word ends well for those who value self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment