Thursday, June 15, 2023

THE FAITHFUL TRAIL

On the faithful trail, I’ll go,
where the ferns are thick and greening,
and the undergrowth goes up and down,
and the trees are sometimes leaning.

Still on the trail, I’ll follow,
as I pass beneath the basswoods,
as I walk along the touch-me-nots,
and a patch of tangled dogwoods.

I’ll trust when at the gully,
where the woods are dark and deepest,
and I’ll cross along the cherry tree,
where the bank is all the steepest.

At trail’s end, I’ll have rest
in a special, hidden clearing—
in the grass, I’ll watch the passing clouds,
and the veeries I’ll be hearing.



I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20





THE FAITHFUL TRAIL

Veery Glade is lush and green. Veeries sing to each other and sometimes, I spot one while hiking on a trail near our home. These deep-forested little brown birds add a mystical, swirling tune to the woodland realm. I especially enjoy them at dusk, when they are often one of the last kinds of birds to sing.

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Hebrews 10:35

Of course, the best thing to do while walking along the woodland trail is to do so while talking with God. He’s there, you know—the Creator of the universe. Confidence in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, brings great reward. It says so in the above verse. And if those words are our Creator’s words, we can trust them. They are! And I trust them. I hope you do as well.

(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Philippians 3:18-19

But as we travel along life’s occasional gnarly path, like in the deep woods, we encounter enemies of the cross. The cross is foolishness to faith-lacking people whose minds are fixed on earthly things. They feed their appetites and advocate their immoral acts to be accepted. Faithless people don’t believe Jesus willingly hung on the cross for our sins.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Hebrews 11:6

Live a life trusting God. Pray for help when circumstances derail off the steady trail. Call on God when hurts fling us into the tangled underbrush section. God, the Heart Reader, knows the heart asking for help. He rewards those who seek Him for guidance, those who call upon Him. Be a caller. A persistent caller. Quitting is not an option! 

Like the Magi, wise men and women still seek Him today in this generation. And find Him. What a great thing it is to be found by the Creator of the universe! I’m a member of the ‘Lost and Found’ group! Are you? One truly appreciates the depths of understanding being found when one sees the vivid picture of what lost looks like.

Honor God in what you do. One way is to honor the Sabbath. Instead of mowing the lawn or scheduling a bike ride with friends on Sunday morning, make the effort to attend church instead. Choose not to watch a sports practice or perform in a dance recital on Sunday morning. God calls us to be set apart. He calls us to be distinct.

Are school districts scheduling sports events on Sunday mornings? Pray that our tax dollars are not being used to support a lack of respect for the Sabbath. Yes, pray. Remember Eric Liddell? He refused to take part in an Olympic race because the event was held on a Sunday. Part of being on the faithful trail is honoring the Sabbath.

And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.
Luke 1:45

Mary, the mother of Jesus, knew God rewards the meek and brings down the proud. I’m sure she who saw an angel honored our Creator by putting going to church first. Her soul praised God as she humbly served the Mighty One and became blessed of all women. Service comes at a price but in the end, there is reward. I believe God will honor those meek of heart.

And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments, and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment.
Luke 23:56

And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.
Luke 2:38

Anna of Asher, an old widow and prophetess, spent a lot of time in the temple praying and waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem. There were probably people in her day that did not go to the temple, but I don’t think Anna joined them. Just because some people don’t go to church doesn’t mean not going is right. After many years, baby Jesus was brought to Anna. She was rewarded in her day for her choice to be the salt of the earth in her generation.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1

May we keep walking meekly on the faithful trail, talking with God. Events will come and go, but the things of God are eternal. Live to be rewarded by Him who rewards. Live to walk in Heaven, that special hidden clearing.

Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O LORD. Good and upright is the LORD: therefore he will teach sinners in the way. The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
Psalm 25: 7-9

Be teachable. Be meek. May we set our sights on our Creator’s promises as we walk along the faithful trail, thanking Jesus every day for His way of meekness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment